Academic Regulations

This is an archived copy of the 2018-19 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Non-Degree Study

Generalist courses may be taken on a non-degree basis with the permission of the assistant dean for academic affairs. A maximum of 12 hours earned on a non-degree basis may be counted toward requirements for the master’s degree if the student is subsequently admitted as a degree candidate.

Admissions and Application Information

Admission to the master’s degree program at the Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences is granted on a selective basis determined by the quality of the total application. An applicant for admission is expected to meet the following minimum requirements:

  1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
  2. Evidence of capacity to succeed in graduate level education based on undergraduate work and any previous graduate work. Previous work must include courses strong enough to ensure the applicant's ability to do creditable work at the graduate level.
  3. A minimum undergraduate grade-point average is 2.7. A Miller Analogies Test or Graduate Record Exam is required for applicants with less than a 2.7 grade point average. In exceptional cases, applicants who lack the required academic credentials but whose other qualifications are outstanding may be admitted on a probationary basis. Students who enter on probation may not carry more than 15 credit hours in their first semester. Probationary students must achieve at least a 3.0 grade point average in their first semester of course work (minimum of six credits) to have their probationary status removed and continue in the program.
  4. Evidence of a combination of personal qualities and values that are considered essential for the professional practice of social work and /or the non profit sector: strong moral character; strong analytical and verbal skills; a caring and compassionate nature; and a personal commitment to social justice, empowering individuals, and serving vulnerable and under-represented groups,communities and organizations.
  5. The school may request a personal interview or additional information about an applicant if necessary.

Admission Procedures

Application materials for admission to the Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences can be secured from the Office of Admissions, Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7164 or by visiting the school's website.

Students applying for full-time study in the social work program are admitted in the fall semester. Applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis but the latest application date is April 15. The deadline for Intensive Weekend Program applications is June 1.

Students pursuing the MSSA in the online format are admitted in fall, spring, and summer semesters. Deadlines for completed applications are as follows: Spring semester:November 4; Summer semester: March 3; and Fall semester: June 30.

Students seeking admission to the Management of Nonprofit Organization (MNO) degree program are admitted in summer, fall and spring. Deadlines for completed applications for Summer semester: April 15; Fall semester: July 1; and Spring semester: November 15.

Although applications are accepted for all programs on a rolling admission basis, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early.

Advanced Standing (Social Work Students Only)

Advanced standing may be granted to students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work within the past seven years from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Students must have earned a grade of B or better in each social work generalist course for which advanced standing credit hours are given.

Proficiency Examinations (Non-BSW Social Work Students Only)

Students without a bachelor’s degree in social work may waive the generalist courses in policy, socio-behavioral theory, and research by passing a proficiency examination. Successful completion of the exam(s) exempts the student from the requirement to complete the course(s). Elective course(s) may be substituted in order to fulfill graduation requirements. There is no fee or penalty associated with taking the proficiency exams. However, each exam may be taken only once. Exams are offered up to fourteen(14) days prior to the start of fall and spring semesters. Students must make reservations to take those exams with the Mandel School Office of Student Services.

Transfer Credit

Students who have completed graduate-level social work courses,nonprofit management courses or graduate level courses in a related field other than social work may request an evaluation of coursework for approval of eligible/comparable courses with a grade of B or better (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) earned within the last 7 years.

Students who are transferring to the Mandel School from another accredited graduate school of social work may apply for transfer credit for up to one full year of academic work and field education. Transfer students from social work programs must submit field work evaluations, final official transcripts, course syllabi and the Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit form.

Transfer credit (6 hour limit) may be given for related, but non-social work, coursework completed within the past seven years. Credit hours must not have been applied toward a previous graduate degree. Students must have received a grade of B or better in any course for which transfer credit is sought. Course syllabi, Request for Transfer Credit Evaluation  form and official transcript must be submitted to the Mandel School Office of Admissions.

Students who are  transferring  to the Mandel School  from another accredited graduate school of nonprofit management may  apply for transfer credit up to fifteen (15) academic credit hours.  Final official transcripts, course syllabi for each course transfer credit is requested and  Request for Transfer Credit Evaluation  form  must be submitted to the Mandel School Office of Admissions.

Courses approved for transfer credit are not used in computing the student's GPA. Quarter  hours will be converted to semester hours. Credit hours may not have been applied toward a previous graduate degree.

International Students

Applicants from other countries follow the regular application procedure. International students must have completed available social work training in their own countries, and have had paid experience in the social welfare or nonprofit  field prior to entering the professional degree program. International students are required to furnish results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)  or  the International English Language Test Service (IELTS) administered by the Educational Testing Service. Results of this test must be forwarded to the Office of Admissions. A student from abroad whose native language is English, who has completed his or her work in a foreign university where English is the language of instruction, or who has studied at or graduated from an American institution, is exempt from this requirement. Federal requirements mandate that all international students on J-1 visas purchase the medical insurance. No exceptions are allowed. All other students are strongly urged to carry health insurance of some kind.

All international applicants must submit to the university’s Office of International Students evidence of funding sources to fully finance the cost of education, housing, and transportation (approximately $13,000) for one year. Living expenses for dependents, if applicable, must also be included, i.e. spouse $6,000 and child $3,000.

All international applicants must submit to the Case Western Reserve Office of International Students evidence of funding sources to fully finance the cost of education, housing, and transportation. Applicants from other countries will be sent an additional form requiring them to provide evidence of financial resources sufficient to cover their anticipated expenses before acceptance can be finalized.

Students holding a BSW from their country of origin may be eligible for advanced standing. Applicants should contact International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, directly and ask to have their program reviewed.

An international applicant who holds a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree for his or her country may request a credit review for transfer credit. However, the student must complete at least 27 hours of academic credit and three semesters of field credit (9 hours) at the Mandel School.

Please note that material submitted for application cannot be returned to the applicant.

Financial Information


In the 2018-2019 academic year, tuition for the Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences in the on campus master’s degree program (13-16 credit hours) is a flat rate of $44,500, or $1484  per credit hour (1-12 credit hours) in the Intensive Weekend and Online master's degree  program formats.

A non-refundable tuition deposit of $100 is required of all master’s degree candidates at the time of acceptance. This deposit will be applied toward tuition for the degree program. Complete information about academic policies, procedures, and financial aid is available by contacting the Office of Admissions, Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at 216- 368-1655.

Academic Standing and Academic Difficulty


Probation Based on Academic Performance

A student who receives a grade point average below 3.0 in any semester or cumulative will be placed on probation. A student on probation must obtain at least a 3.0 average in the subsequent semester in order to be removed from probation. Since probationary status may have financial aid implications, students on probation are directed to contact the financial aid office upon determination of probationary status.

Dismissal Based on Academic Performance

A student will not be permitted to continue in the program if he , she  or they receives:

  1. A second grade of F in the program, or two semesters of No Pass (NP) in field education or No Pass (NP) in any  course ;
  2. A grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or below in any one semester or cumulative;
  3. A grade point average (GPA) less than 2.8 entering the final semester;
  4. If a student  admitted on academic probation does not earn a 3.0 GPA in the first semester;  If a student admitted on academic probation earns NP in field at any time, the student will be academically dismissed.
  5. For part-time, Intensive Weekend, and online students, these policies apply in two semester blocks of time.

A NO PASS  (NP) counts as F for purposes of determining academic standing.

Dismissal Based on Non- Academic Performance

Failure to meet generally accepted standards of professional conduct, personal integrity or emotional stability requisite for professional practice, inappropriate or disruptive behavior toward colleagues, faculty or staff (at school or in field sites) will be the basis for nonacademic termination.

STUDENTS COMPLETING WORK BEYOND THE END OF A SEMESTER may be subject to academic actions at any point within the next semester. Students will be academically withdrawn from their courses and their records updated based on academic decision.

Student will be fully responsible for all financial obligations up to the date of academic action.

University Registrar requires letters of academic standing indicating probation or dismissal be sent to the student at the address on file in the Student Information System (SIS).   Letters of dismissal are sent by priority mail and electronically by E-LETTER. Letters of probation are sent regular first-class mail delivery and electronically by E-LETTER.


  1.  A grade of Incomplete is given at the end of the semester only when a student has discussed the matter with his/her/their   instructor and there are extenuating circumstances that clearly justify an extension beyond the requirements established   for the other students in the class.
  2. The student and the instructor must agree on a due date for fulfilling the requirements for the Incomplete. A signed Request for an Incomplete Grade (by both the instructor and student) must then be submitted to the Mandel School Registrar by the instructor. This form can also be printed from the Mandel School Registrar’s website at The extension may not go beyond the end of the subsequent term (fall, spring, summer). The form must be specific in what assignment(s) are due and the date(s) by which assignment(s) must be submitted. For administrative purposes, instructors must submit final grades for Incomplete as soon as coursework is submitted and graded.
  3. If a student fails to remove the incomplete within the specified time, he/ she/they forfeits the privilege of completing the course for credit and the instructor must assign  a grade of F. For exceptional situations in which there are extenuating circumstances, the student and advisor may request, in writing, an extension beyond one semester from the Assistant or Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, with the instructor’s approval.
  4. If a student accumulates three or more grades of “Incomplete,” he/she/they may not enroll in the subsequent course or term and will be considered to be “on probationary suspension” from the program. This policy includes grades of “Incomplete” in Field Education. These students will be required to clear all but one grade of “Incomplete” on their records before they will be allowed to re-enroll in School.


An Incomplete for fieldwork should be treated in the same manner as  an Incomplete in academic courses. An Incomplete is only appropriate when insufficient hours were spent in placement, or assignments were not finished for reasons of illness or other excused absences. An Incomplete is  also used for field education when the student is assessed to be performing at the marginal level and a remediation plan is required to be completed prior to a determination being made as to whether the student receives a P or an NP for the field period. A grade of Incomplete must be removed before entering the subsequent semester of field  work.


Assignments are due on the date assigned. Exceptions must be cleared in advance with the instructor. In the absence of a mutual agreement by the student and instructor, the instructor is not obligated to accept papers and a grade of “F” can be entered for the assignment. If the instructor determines justifiable circumstances, additional time may be granted.


Mandel School students may petition the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs to repeat a maximum of two courses during their degree program in order to improve their performance. When a course is repeated the first grade will remain visible on the transcript, but will be removed from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average and the grade point average for the semester in which the course was first taken. The new grade will then be used for calculation of the cumulative grade point average and the grade point average for the semester in which it was earned, regardless of whether the new grade is higher or lower than the first grade. The student’s transcript will show the comment “Repeated: No credit awarded” directly below the original grade. However, if the first attempt of the  course resulted in a passing grade, but the second attempt results in a failing grade, then the original grade will remain. Similarly, if a student withdraws from a course that is being repeated, the Course Repeat Option will not be applied and the original grade will stand. 

This option may be exercised according to the following criteria:

1.)  The course repeat option can only be used on course in which a grade of C or lower was earned; Courses with a               grading basis of P/NP are not eligible under this policy;

     2.)   A student may not use the Pass/No Pass Option on a course that is being repeated;

     3.)   A student may only use the repeat option on the same course;

     4.)  The course repeat option may not be exercised after a degree has been awarded;

     5.)   Approval from Associate Dean of Academic Affairs  is required;

     6.)  The tuition and associated fees for a repeated course may be the responsibility of the student.


A student who leaves the Mandel School in good standing without completing requirements for the degree may re-enter within a three-year period and receive credit for previous work. Any former student who wishes to complete degree requirements and who has been out of school for three years or more must reapply for admission. All information regularly required for an admission application must be updated. The application will be reviewed in light of current admission policies.

Upon acceptance for readmission, the specific courses and field work required for completion of the student’s program will be determined in accordance with current degree requirements. Credit hours will not be granted for work completed more than five years before readmission.

If a student is terminated due to inadequate academic performance or a violation of the professional code of  conduct, he/she/they may request reinstatement although this will not be considered until two semesters after termination.  A written petition and supporting documentation (if applicable) must be forwarded by the student to the attention of the Chair of the Committee on Students ( who will present the petition for possible review by the full Committee at the next scheduled meeting. The Committee meets monthly except in June, July, and August.  In all cases, the student must remain separated from the School for a minimum of two semesters (fall, spring, and summer are considered semesters).

The petition must include the following: a) the student’s reason for requesting the reinstatement, b) an identification of the circumstances that led to the termination, and evidence of personal, educational, or professional activities or accomplishments that would demonstrate the student’s readiness to return to school and successfully complete the degree program. The Committee will meet with the student, if desired, and thereafter recommend to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs one of three possible responses: 1) readmit, 2) readmit with condition, or 3) do not readmit.