The mission of the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine is to advance the health of humankind through the four interrelated components of Education, Research, Clinical Care and Public Service.
The School of Medicine provides two tracks leading to the MD degree: the longstanding School of Medicine program, also called the University track, and the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University, also known as the College track, which first admitted students in 2004. The School boasts a longstanding Medical Scientist Training Program, or MSTP, and, through the School of Graduate Studies, programs resulting in PhD and MS degrees, as well as certificates in disciplines led by faculty in the School of Medicine.
As a research institution, the School of Medicine has a tradition of national leadership. The School of Medicine consistently ranks in the top tier of the nation’s medical schools for federal research funding from the National Institutes of Health, and is proud of its Clinical Translational Service Award in partnership with its affiliates. In fiscal year 2010, the School earned more than $340 million in grants from the NIH including grants through the affiliated Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine. Faculty and trainee research is routinely reported in the nation's top journals, leading to biomedical discoveries and improved health.
The School of Medicine engages the community in public service in many ways. The School of Medicine’s commitment links researchers and medical students to the community. The school’s faculty provide 90 percent of the indigent health care in Cuyahoga County and a majority of the care for indigent patients in Ohio. A major economic influence on the northern Ohio area, the School of Medicine and its affiliated hospitals are among the largest employers of personnel in the area and further stimulate the economy by providing concepts for technology transfer to the business sector. On the international level, the School of Medicine has a global health and diseases program focusing on AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and other diseases that directly threaten world health.
The school is very proud of the contributions made by its educators and graduates but doesn’t rest on its laurels. The curriculum constantly responds to the latest findings in education and medicine and sets the pace for other schools with input from gifted and committed scholars.
At least eleven Nobel Prize holders have ties to the School of Medicine:
Two other distinguished alumni have served as U.S. surgeon general: Jesse Steinfeld, MD, a 1949 graduate, was surgeon general from 1969 to 1973, and David Satcher, MD, PhD, who graduated in 1970 and was surgeon general from 1998 to 2002.
Dr. Satcher also served as director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 1993 to 1998, and another medical school graduate, Julie Gerberding, MD, MPH, followed in his footsteps, in 2002 becoming the first woman to be named CDC director.
Since its founding in 1843, the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine has been an innovator in medical education and a leader in pioneering research. Beginning as the Medical Department of Western Reserve College (and popularly known then as the Cleveland Medical College), the school moved into its first permanent home, in downtown Cleveland, in 1846. In 1915, a 20-acre site was secured for a medical center in University Circle, the current home of Case Western Reserve University, its School of Medicine, and two of the school’s affiliated hospitals, University Hospitals of Cleveland and the Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. University Circle also is home to many of the country’s outstanding cultural and educational institutions.
The school was one of the first medical schools in the country to employ instructors devoted to full-time teaching and research. Six of the first seven women to receive medical degrees from accredited American medical schools graduated from Western Reserve College (as it was called then) between 1850 and 1856.
Already a leading educational institution for more than a century, in 1952 the School of Medicine initiated the most advanced medical curriculum in the country, pioneering integrated education, a focus on organ systems and team teaching in the preclinical curriculum. This curriculum instituted a pass/fail grading system for the first two years of medical school to promote cooperation among students instead of competitiveness, introduced students to clinical work and patients almost as soon as they arrived on campus, and provided free, unscheduled time in an era when doing so seemed unthinkable. Many other medical schools followed suit, and these components remain at the core of the medical school’s curriculum today.
In 1924, the School of Medicine moved into the most modern and best-equipped preclinical science building in the country at that time. That building, donated by Cleveland industrialist Samuel Mather, remains an integral part of the medical school complex. It was named the Harland Goff Wood Building in 1993 in honor of the late chair and professor of biochemistry and former provost of the university.
In 1971, the Health Sciences Center was completed to house the university’s medical, dental and nursing schools, as well as the Health Center Library. In 1994, the health sciences complex was named for now-retired U.S. Congressman Louis Stokes. The proximity of these excellent research and educational centers to other prestigious university departments, including science, engineering and social sciences, stimulates uniquely creative interaction among researchers and educators.
Another giant leap in research capabilities came in the early 1990s, when the Richard F. Celeste Biomedical Research Building, named for the former Ohio governor, was opened. The $70 million building, attached to the Wood Building, added 154,000 square feet of research space and includes conference spaces, a lecture hall, public spaces and a cafeteria.
The School of Medicine was the first medical school to provide laptop computers to all its students. Today, students use their laptops to access the entire syllabus as well as numerous electronic resources deemed essential by faculty. Students have access to the WiFi network at the medical school and across campus. Technology is used to enhance, not replace, the faculty-student interaction that occurs in the classroom, the laboratory and small group discussions.
In 2002, the School of Medicine became only the third institution in history to receive the best review possible from the body that grants accreditation to U.S. and Canadian medical degree programs, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Also in 2002, the school built on its tradition of innovation in education when the university and the Cleveland Clinic entered into an agreement to form the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, with the first class matriculating in 2004.
Recent boosts in research capabilities came with the spring 2003 dedication of a new, eight-floor addition to the School of Medicine’s Wood Building, which added more than 40,000 square feet to the medical school, primarily for research laboratories. Also as part of the project, 30,000 square feet of existing laboratory space in the Wood Building was renovated. And in the fall of 2003, the School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland dedicated the new, eight-floor Iris S. and Bert L. Wolstein Research Building, adding 320,000 square feet of space for up to 700 researchers.
Pamela B. Davis, MD, PhD
Dean, School of Medicine and Vice President for Medical Affairs
Achilles A. Demetriou, MD, PhD
Vice Dean for Clinical Affairs for the Case Medical Center
George E. Kikano, MD
Vice Dean for Community Health
Clint W. Snyder, PhD
Interim Vice Dean for Education and Academic Affairs
Carol L. Moss, MS
Vice Dean for External Affairs and VP for Medical Development
Christopher Masotti, CPA, MBA
Vice Dean for Finance and Administration
Mark Chance, PhD
Vice Dean for Research
Lisa M. Mencini, CPA, MBA
Senior Associate Dean and Chief of Staff
Murray D. Altose, MD
Associate Dean for Louis Stokes Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Alfred Connors, Jr. MD
Senior Associate Dean for the MetroHealth System
C. Kent Smith, MD
Senior Associate Dean for Students
James Young MD
Executive Dean for Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Alan Hull, MD, PhD
Associate Dean for Curricular Affairs, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Lina Mehta, MD
Associate Dean for Admissions
Terry M. Wolpaw, MD
Associate Dean for Curricular Affairs
Robert Daroff, MD
Associate Dean for Development
Gene H. Barnett, MD
Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs for Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Daniel E. Anker, PhD, JD
Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Human Resources
Alison K. Hall, PhD
Associate Dean for Graduate Education
Jerry M. Shuck, MD, DSc
Associate Dean and Director of Graduate Medical Education
Associate Dean for Space and Facilities Planning
Kathleen N. Franco, MD
Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Robert L. Haynie, MD, PhD
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Amy Wilson-Delfosse, PhD
Assistant Dean for Basic Science Education
J. Harry Isaacson, MD
Assistant Dean for Clinical Education for Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Nicole Addington, CPA
Assistant Dean for Finance and Planning
James P. Bruzik, PhD
Associate Dean for Medical Student Research
Linda M. Graham, MD
Assistant Dean for Research Education, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Elizabeth McKinley, MD
Assistant Dean for Student Societies
Steven Ricanati, MD
Assistant Dean for Student Societies
Daniel Wolpaw, MD
Director of Clinical Programs
Siu Yan Scott
University Hospitals serves the needs of patients through an integrated network of hospitals, outpatient centers and primary care physicians. At the core of the health system is University Hospitals Case Medical Center. The primary affiliate of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center is home to some of the most prestigious clinical centers of excellence in the nation and the world, including cancer, pediatrics, women's health, orthopedics and spine, radiology and radiation oncology, neurosurgery and neuroscience, cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, organ transplantation and human genetics. Its main campus includes the internationally celebrated UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, ranked among the top children’s hospitals in the nation; UH MacDonald Women's Hospital, Ohio's only hospital for women; and UH Seidman Cancer Center, part of the NCI-designated Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. Go here for more information.
In 2002, the university and Cleveland Clinic entered into a landmark agreement to form the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, with the first students matriculating in 2004. The "College Track" is a program within the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. The Cleveland Clinic serves as an outstanding teaching site for all medical students in the School of Medicine, in addition to being the site for pre-clerkship education in the College Track.
Cleveland Clinic was founded in 1921 by four Case Western Reserve faculty members, three of whom are counted among the alumni of the Case School of Medicine. Cleveland Clinic’s main campus, where much of the activity associated with the program will occur, is located on 180 acres adjacent to the Case Western Reserve campus.
Occupying 50 buildings, the main campus includes a hospital, an outpatient clinic, a children’s hospital, heart and vascular institute, cancer institute, eye institute, research institute and supporting labs and facilities. To better serve the Cleveland suburbs with primary care services, Cleveland Clinic operates 16 family health centers, eight regional hospitals and medical offices throughout Northeast Ohio, staffed with Cleveland Clinic primary care physicians, as well as many medical and surgical specialists. State-of-the-art imaging services are available, and several locations contain pharmacies and outpatient surgery centers that provide same-day surgical services close to home. In 2011, the clinic recorded more than 4.2 million outpatient visits throughout the health system and 155,000 hospital admissions. Among them were patients from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. More than 2,800 full-time physicians and scientists and 11,000 nurses represent 120 medical specialties and subspecialties. Cleveland Clinic is consistently named as one of the nation's top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report, and our heart and heart surgery program has been ranked No. 1 by U.S. News since 1995. Go here for more information.
The MetroHealth System is one of the largest, most comprehensive health care providers in Northeast Ohio, caring for people in and around Greater Cleveland for more than 170 years. This academic health care system is committed to the communities it serves by saving lives, restoring health, promoting wellness, and providing outstanding, lifelong care that is accessible to all.
Affiliated with Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine since 1914, MetroHealth is a center for medical research and education, with all active staff physicians holding CWRU faculty appointments. More than 400 primary care and specialty care physicians practice within The MetroHealth System. At the core of the MetroHealth system, is the MetroHealth Medical Center. The system’s main health care provider, research facility and teaching hospital is also home to the region’s only Level 1 trauma and burn center. However, The MetroHealth System also serves Greater Cleveland with more than a dozen urban and suburban primary and specialty healthcare centers in Cleveland, Strongsville, Westlake, Lakewood, Pepper Pike and Beachwood.
MetroHealth has received many accolades for its high level of care and the innovation of its physicians. Surgeons at MetroHealth are pioneering new techniques in minimally-invasive surgery for faster recoveries, while its primary care physicians are developing cutting-edge ways to manage common and chronic diseases through the use of electronic medical records and a patient-centered medical home model called Partners in Care. Its maternal-fetal medicine specialists are successfully managing the riskiest of pregnancies and saving the tiniest of lives. In addition, MetroHealth is nationally recognized by the American Heart Association for cardiac and stroke care and the cancer center has earned outstanding achievement awards for the treatment of cancer patients. Every year, MetroHealth provides care to more than 28,000 inpatients and delivers approximately 3,000 newborns. More than 790,000 visits are recorded each year in the medical center's outpatient centers, and patient visits to the emergency department exceed 99,000. To learn more about MetroHealth and its locations and services, go here.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) is a major teaching hospital of the School of Medicine and is an important site for the education of medical students. The Cleveland VAMC also supports more than 100 residency and fellowship training positions in medicine, surgery, and psychiatry and their subspecialties. Most VAMC physicians hold faculty appointments within the School of Medicine. The affiliation is overseen by the Deans Committee, consisting of the dean, department chairpersons from the School of Medicine, and key VAMC officials.
The Cleveland VAMC is a part of the VA Healthcare System of Ohio, linking VA health care facilities in Ohio in an integrated service network. Inpatient care is provided at the Wade Park location and includes medicine, surgery, psychiatry, spinal cord injury, neurology and rehabilitation medicine as well as a nursing home and a domiciliary. Outpatient care is delivered in primary and specialty care clinics located at Wade Park, Akron, Canton, Cleveland, East Liverpool, Lorain, Mansfield, New Philadelphia, Painesville, Ravenna, Sandusky, Warren and Youngstown. The medical center serves more than 100,000 individual veterans annually through approximately 11,600 hospital admissions and 1,884,000 outpatient visits.
An active research program includes activities funded through the Department of Veterans Affairs and other governmental and private funding sources. Total funding of approximately $21.5 million annually (from all sources) supports more than 50 principal investigators in a broad range of research endeavors. For more information, go here.
Advanced Platform Technology Research Center of Excellence
The Advanced Platform Technology (APT) Research Center of Excellence is a multi-institutional center composed of investigators from Case Western Reserve University and the Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs. Building on the 25+ year history of rehabilitation research in northeast Ohio, the Center was created in 2005 with a $5.0 million award from the Veterans Health Administration [VHA] Rehabilitation Research and Development Service as a national VA Research Center of Excellence. This commitment was subsequently renewed in 2010 for a second 5-year term with an additional award of $5.0 million. An additional $6 million award in 2010 from the State of Ohio’s Department of Development further validated the Center’s ability to achieve its primary mission to serve the clinical needs of veterans with motor, sensory and cognitive deficits and limb loss. The total value of the APT-related research portfolio is presently $45 million.
The APT Center is providing leadership to create and deliver innovative devices based on cutting-edge microelectronics, materials and MEMS fabrication and is a catalyst for the discovery and development of new technologies and techniques that can be employed in the rehabilitation process to provide independence for veterans and other individuals with disabilities. These techniques include basic and clinical research programs and the development and administration of new device-based therapies to patients within the emphasis areas of neural interfaces, prosthetics and orthotics, health monitoring & maintenance and enabling technologies. The Center provides affiliated investigators seed funding, administrative support (grants preparation and management, regulatory and statistical support), professional engineering & prototyping and an established quality system for the documentation and control of device design and production. Leveraging its investigators’ exceptional track records in a variety of disciplines, the Center is promoting the translation of its research into clinical and commercial applications. Current clinical applications being investigated include intelligent braces, respiratory support, sensation and control of a prosthetic hand, urinary incontinence, behavioral recovery after traumatic brain injury and, monitoring brain activity.
Publications describing the School of Medicine are produced by the Office of Development, Alumni Relations, and Communications. Many articles and news reports are accessible via the Web under “news and publications.” The medical school produces an annual report highlighting accomplishments in research, education and service.
For example, AlumniNews, produced by the Office of Alumni Relations, features updates to keep alumni connected to past colleagues, current students and happenings at the School of Medicine. This biannual newsletter publishes in the spring and fall, and all alumni who spent the majority of their time within the School of Medicine (MD and PhD alumni) should receive a printed issue in the mail. Copies are also delivered to locations around the medical school to reach MD and PhD students, and a link to a PDF version is emailed to all students. This university wide-publication is distributed electronically to all CWRU alumni once a month. Each school within the university submits one news bullet for publication and can be viewed online. The Reunion Newsletter is distributed to all alumni who are celebrating milestone reunion years from the School of Medicine. This newsletter is published three times during the year for celebratory years. The third issue each year serves as a follow-up on the celebration. This last publication is also sent to the next year's reunion classes to create momentum and get alumni involved in upcoming reunions.
Established in 1974 by friends of the late professor of anesthesiology (from 1969 until his death in 1974), this annual lecture is presented by teachers of the science of anesthesia.
This lecture, about cardiovascular surgery, was established in 1989. At what is now known as the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Claude S. Beck, MD, was demonstrator of surgery in 1924 to 1925; professor of neurosurgery in 1940; and the first professor of cardiovascular surgery in the United States from 1952 until 1965.
Established in 2001 with contributions from friends of colleagues of this former School of Medicine dean (1980 to 1989), this annual lecture is delivered by distinguished scholars in child development.
Established in 1999 by family, friends and colleagues of this alumnus and associate clinical professor, guest lecturers discuss the basic science behind disease and its application to patient care through this program.
Established in 1955 in memory of the Cleveland attorney Theodore R. Bloomfield by his widow and his son, this lecture brings outstanding members of the medical profession from around this country and abroad to discuss new concepts and developments in medicine with the medical community and allied professions.
This lecture was established in 2002 in memory of the father of Clark E. Bruner and grandfather of William E. Bruner II, MD, a 1975 medical school alumnus, with gifts coming from them as well as Susan F. Bruner.
This annual lecture is presented by an outstanding individual who has achieved or helped achieve a significant advance in medicine or a closely related field and whose presentation would be of great interest to members of the medical profession. It is supported by a fund established in 1993. Courtney Burton Jr., was chair of the board of Oglebay Norton Co. from 1957 until shortly before his death in 1992.
This lecture series in gastroenterology has been supported by a fund established in 1965 by Lottie Cahen, widow of the founder and former president of World Publishing Co., in memory of her late husband.
Lecturers in medicine and engineering deliver this lectureship at the discretion of the University president thanks to a fund begun in 1993 by Paul R. Frohring.
Through an endowment, Rosalee Greenfield Weiss, PhD, and Raymond A. Weiss, PhD, established this annual lecture in 1997 to honor her father, Nathan S. Greenfield, a pharmacist who owned Wade Park Pharmacy in Cleveland from 1914 to 1956; her mother, Corinne Sternheimer Greenfield; and Lynn Stuart Weiss, daughter of the benefactors, who died of cancer in her mid-20s in 1971.
This annual lecture or series of lectures is presented by one or more distinguished visiting researchers selected by the dean of the School of Medicine or his or her designee. It/they are made possible because of support received in 1998 by the estate of Zella Hall.
Founded in 1913 by G. W. Crile, 1864-1943, in honor of H. Melville Hanna, philanthropist and founder of the MA Hanna Co., the Hanna Lectures are delivered by distinguished basic scientists from this country and abroad.
Established in 1985 by the members of the Department of Surgery of MetroHealth Medical Center in honor of their former chair and Payne Professor of Surgery, this series of lectures in surgery is delivered by distinguished leaders in American surgery.
This lecture, for residents and visiting staff members in ophthalmology, was established in 1967 by the Wright Foundation.
This lecture is presented by a distinguished visiting lecturer with the goal of advancing the study of bioethics. It was established in 1994.
In this annual lecture, established in 1996, a distinguished visiting lecturer promotes quality health care by emphasizing new developments in the identification and treatment of life-threatening cardiac arrhythmia. Rita Ann Kicher was the daughter of Thomas Kicher, PhD, a triple alumnus, long-time faculty member, and dean (1992-1997) of the Case School of Engineering. At the time of her death, she was a systems analyst at University Hospitals of Cleveland’s Center for Quality Assessment and Utilization Management.
These lecturers are distinguished visitors whose presentations advance the study of plastic and reconstructive surgery. The lectureship was established in 1994. Dr. Kiehn is the former head of plastic and reconstructive surgery, and Dr. Desprez followed him in that role.
This lectureship is named for an internationally respected lung specialist and professor emeritus of pathology at the School of Medicine. Established in 2000 by the late Dr. Kleinerman’s daughters, friends and colleagues, the lectureship each year supports a distinguished visiting lecturer whose presentation advances the study of pulmonary pathobiology. The lecturer is selected by a faculty committee that includes members having appointments at MetroHealth Medical Center. The members of the committee are chosen by the dean of the School of Medicine.
The lecture honors an alumnus of the Class of 1957 and was established in his memory in 1989 by family, friends and colleagues to advance the study of pathology.
The fund was established in 1982 by family, friends and colleagues of former faculty member Lester Krampitz, MD, to honor him with a lecture fund in microbiology. It is intended to facilitate the interchange of ideas, a process Dr. Krampitz, who joined the faculty in 1946 and retired in 1978, believes is vital to scientific research.
Established in 1955 by friends of this alumnus of the Class of 1904, in his memory, this lecture presents outstanding speakers on clinical developments in surgery.
This fund was established in 1991 by friends and colleagues of the late forensic pathologist, medical school faculty members, and university provost.
Established in 1999 by family and friends of the late endocrinologist, oncologist and faculty member, this lecture features a cancer-related topic at the School of Medicine.
Established in 1995 by Dr. Post’s friends and colleagues in the Community Dialysis Center, in memory of the former faculty member and head of nephrology, this lecture features a distinguished visiting expert in the field of nephrology.
Established in 1991 and named for the late physician, surgeon, researcher, and medical school head of ophthalmology, this lecture features a visiting expert in the Department of Ophthalmology.
Established in 1995 by the Department of Medicine in honor of Frederick C. Robbins, MD, dean emeritus of the School of Medicine, university professor emeritus, and Nobel Prize winner, this lecture features a distinguished visiting expert each year in the Department of Medicine.
Established in 1997 by Mrs. Florence M. Sable in honor of her late husband, who was professor emeritus of biochemistry, this lecture advances the study of biochemistry via a visiting expert selected by the chairperson of the Department of Biochemistry.
Established by colleagues, students, family and friends in memory of the former head of the Department of Medicine of MetroHealth Medical Center, this lecture involves an annual two-day visit of a leading cardiologist, who presents the lecture and grand rounds to house officers and students of the School of Medicine.
Originally established in 1990 by friends and family and named the Robert Sternlicht Memorial Fund, these lectures feature distinguished experts whose presentations will advance the study of oncology at the School of Medicine. Lecturers are chosen by the chair of the Department of Pharmacology and the director of the comprehensive cancer center. Robert Sternlicht was the son of Himan Sternlicht, PhD, associate professor emeritus of pharmacology.
Established in 1981 in memory of the former professor of biochemistry and chair of the Department of Biochemistry, this lecture is delivered by a scientist of the highest caliber in a field related to those in which Dr. Utter was interested. Lecturers are chosen by the chair of the Department of Biochemistry.
Established in 1972 in the Department of Medicine, this lecture honors the memory of the man who, at the time of his death in 1970, was the John Huntington Hord Professor and chair of the Department of Medicine of the School of Medicine and University Hospitals.
Established in 1994 in memory of the late chair and professor of biochemistry and former provost of the university, this fund supports an annual Page-Wood symposium, co-sponsored by the School of Medicine and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, featuring a leader in the field of biochemistry, an annual guest lecturer in biochemistry, and an annual guest lecturer selected by faculty with the rank of assistant professor in the Department of Biochemistry.