Music Education, MA

Degree: Master of Arts (MA)
Field of Study: Music Education

Program Overview

The MA in Music Education is for individuals with an undergraduate degree in music education, a teaching certificate/license, and at least one year of music classroom teaching experience, who wish to pursue further academic study as a means to develop professionally. Coursework combines the study of philosophical, research-based, and theoretical positions of teaching and learning music with pragmatic approaches to improving music learning. Students meet with their academic advisor each semester to select the most appropriate trajectory for advancing through the program. Full-time students can expect to complete the MA degree in 2 years (9 credit units per semester). Part-time students can expect to take one class (3 credit units) per semester, completing the degree over the course of 5 years.

The MA for Licensure (MAL) concentration is for students with an undergraduate degree in music who wish to obtain a licensure to teach music in the public schools while simultaneously pursuing graduate study in music education.   

Additional program information is available on the Department of Music Music Education webpage.


Applicants with good academic records from fully accredited universities and colleges will be considered for admission to graduate study at Case Western Reserve University. Admission must be recommended by the department or professional school of the university in which the applicant proposes to study and must be approved by the dean of graduate studies. 

Applicants for the MA in Music Education must have at least a 3.0 GPA from a completed undergraduate degree program in music education, minimum of 1 year of successful school music teaching experience in group settings, and evidence of strong written and spoken English skills. After initial review, applicants may be invited to campus for an interview. The MA does not require a vocal or an instrumental audition.

Applicants for the MAL in Music Education should have an undergraduate degree in music (BA or BM) with a GPA of 3.0 or better and some prior experience in working with children. The MAL requires a vocal or an instrumental audition.

More information about the graduate application and audition process in music is provided on the Department of Music Graduate Application Procedures webpage.

Music Handbook and Advising

Current graduate and professional students in music should review departmental policies and procedures in the Graduate Music Handbook. The handbook provides additional information regarding graduate assistantships, general expectations and responsibilities, program outcomes, decision points, performances, scholarly activity, outside work, prizes/awards, deadlines, petitions, examinations, advancement to candidacy, and student record-keeping.

Additional resources and forms are available on the Department of Music Resources for Current Graduate Students webpage.

Graduate Policies

For graduate policies and procedures, please review the School of Graduate Studies section of the General Bulletin.