Undergraduate grades at Case Western Reserve University are issued on the following scale, with good standing based on criteria presented in the section on Academic Standing Regulations and with a cumulative grade point average of 2.000 required for graduation. Academic averages are computed by dividing the number of quality points earned by the number of credit-hours completed, excluding transfer credit, credit based on examinations (AP, IB, proficiency, etc.), and courses graded P/NP.

Grading Scale

Letter Grade Meaning Quality Points Notes
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Fair 2
D Passing 1
F Failure 0 This grade will be given for academic failure as well as failure to attend class without formally withdrawing
I Incomplete
W Withdrawal for a class
WD Withdrawal from all classes during a given semester
P Passing in a Pass/No Pass Course
NP Not Passing in a Pass/No Pass Course
R For courses which extend over more than one semester
AD Successful Audit Included in hours attempted, but not in hours earned
NG Unsuccessful Audit Included in hours attempted, but not in hours earned and does not appear on transcript
NOG Non-graded Course

Grade of Incomplete

Assignment of the Incomplete Grade

The Incomplete grade (I) is assigned by and at the discretion of the instructor when (a) there are extenuating circumstances, explained to the instructor before the assignment of the grade, which clearly justify an extension of time beyond the requirements established for and met by other students in the class, and (b) the student has been passing the course and only a small segment of the course, such as a term paper, remains to be completed.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify the instructor of the circumstances preventing completion of all assigned work.  In the absence of notification or adequate justification, the instructor should assign the student a final grade that assumes a failing grade for the missing work.  An Incomplete grade should not be assigned (a) when a student has been absent for much of the semester and/or has done little of the work required for a course, or (b) because a student is absent from a final examination, unless the Dean of Undergraduate Advising has authorized the grade. 

The amount of additional time allowed the student to make up incomplete work should serve to accommodate the student while being fair to other students in the course.  It should be proportional to the duration of a student's illness or absence and might be no more than a few days or weeks.  At the extreme, it should not extend past the eleventh week of the semester following the one in which the Incomplete grade was received.  In certain cases (such as students on probation), the Dean of Undergraduate Advising may establish an earlier date for completion of courses with Incomplete grades.

Changing the Incomplete Grade

When the student has completed the required work, the instructor shall enter in the Student Information System a final evaluative grade to replace the Incomplete.  When a student fails to submit the work required for removing the Incomplete by the date established, the instructor shall enter a final grade that assumes a failing performance for the missing work.  In the absence of the assignment of a grade by the instructor, the Registrar will convert the I to F when the deadline for making up Incomplete grades from a previous semester has passed. 


See section on Academic Policies and Procedures.

Pass/No Pass

Undergraduate students (degree candidates and non-degree students enrolled at the undergraduate level), other than students participating in the College Credit Plus program, may elect to take one course each fall and spring semester on a Pass/No Pass grading basis, provided they remain enrolled in at least 3 credit-hours of courses for regular evaluative grades. However, all courses to be counted toward major, minor, or general education requirements must be taken for regular evaluative grades. If a student opts for Pass/No Pass in a course, that course will not be counted toward any of these requirements.  The Pass/No Pass option is not available during the summer session or to undergraduate degree candidates enrolled at the graduate or professional levels through the IGS program or Senior Year in Professional Studies. Enrollment in courses that are graded on a Pass/No Pass basis (e.g., PHED 55A) does not preclude a student's use of the Pass/No Pass option in another course taken the same semester. 

Students may submit an online Pass/No Pass Option form at any time in the fall or spring semester after the end of the drop/add period and before 11:59 p.m. on the day of the course withdrawal deadline for that semester (currently the last day of classes for first-year students and the 11th Friday of the semester for all other students, including new transfer students).

A decision to use the Pass/No Pass option is irrevocable unless the student needs that course to complete requirements for a major or minor declared in a subsequent semester. In that event, the student may request that the Undergraduate Advising Support Office reveal the grade on the transcript at the start of the student's final academic term at Case Western Reserve University.

Instructors are not notified of a student's use of this option.  Instructors submit evaluative grades for all students, and these grades are converted to Pass or No Pass in the Registrar's Office.  Courses elected on a Pass/No Pass basis and completed with a grade of D or higher will be entered on the student's transcript with the grade P.  Courses taken Pass/No Pass for which a grade of F is earned will have NP entered as the final grade on the transcript.  Students who earn a P grade will earn credit for the course, while those who earn NP will not.  Grades of P and NP are not included in computing the grade point average.

Grade Changes

Instructors should review grades before submitting them to be confident that they are accurate and fair.  If a student requests a change of grade or reevaluation of work once final grades have been reported, the instructor should review their grading for possible mistakes. However, in fairness to the whole class, the instructor should then review the work of all students whose grades may be questionable, not just those who come to the instructor with concerns. Similarly, if students who have earned a low grade ask to perform additional work for extra credit in hope of raising their grades, and the instructor agrees, that same opportunity must be offered to all students whose grades are below an A  Most courses are planned for completion within the semester. Instructors should avoid extending coursework beyond the semester's limits without good reason.

Instructors should not change grades for students who indicate that they will lose their scholarships or suffer other consequences from a poor grade.  Students have numerous opportunities during the semester to seek assistance in improving their performance or to withdraw from the course.

Changes to undergraduate student grades must be submitted through the Student Information System.  Grade change requests will be forwarded to the department chair for approval and then to the Dean of Undergraduate Advising for review before they are posted.

Grade Reports and Transcripts

Students may view their grades on the Student Information System.

Students can request official copies of their transcripts from the Office of the University Registrar. The university considers the grades earned by a student and other information about the student’s performance at the university confidential and will release such information only upon written request by the student. Official transcripts may be withheld in accordance with the university's Student Accounts Past Due Policy.

Course Repetition

See section on Academic Policies and Procedures.

Mid-Semester Grades

Mid-semester grades are assigned in undergraduate courses at the end of the eighth week of each semester. Mid-semester grades are advisory; the grades are not part of a student’s official academic record or transcript. At mid-semester, an instructor may assign to undergraduates evaluative letter grades (A, B, C, D, or F) or grades of satisfactory (S) and unsatisfactory (U), with S corresponding to performance in the range of A through C, and U corresponding to performance in the D or F range. (S and U may not be assigned as final course grades in undergraduate courses.)

Students may view their mid-semester grades on the Student Information System.  Students who have any low or unreported mid-semester grades should discuss their progress with their instructors and with their advisors.