Other Student Categories

Non-Degree Students

An applicant with basic preparation in nursing may apply to register as a non-degree student for up to 6 credits. After your application is received and approved, you will receive further instructions via e-mail on how to register via the Student Information System (SIS).

For those wishing to take Ph.D. courses, the applicant must obtain written permission from the faculty teaching the course and the Ph.D. Program Director in the FPB School of Nursing for those taking Ph.D. courses. Contact the Graduate Studies Office at 216-368-4390.

For those wishing to take MSN or post-MSN DNP courses, the applicant must complete our online application and receive permission from the appropriate program director before being permitted to enroll in the course. Once the application has been submitted, the student will be notified if permitted to enroll in the course.

Continuation of this status is at the discretion of FPB's administrative officer. Status as a non-degree student does not imply acceptance into FPB. If the non-degree student applies for admission to FPB, coursework completed as a non-degree student will be evaluated on an individual basis for its applicability to degree requirements within the time frame for the degree.

Clinical courses may not be taken as a non-degree student.

Special Students

Special students are those who take a series of courses designed to meet their particular career goals. These students must meet the admission requirements for the program in which the majority of classwork will be completed. Status and performance will be reviewed after one year. Students completing MSN courses to obtain a certificate in any advanced practice nursing major will be admitted as special students.

If a special student decides to pursue a graduate degree, the approval of the Associate Dean of Academic Programs must be obtained. Entrance into the degree program will be considered the date when the student enrolled in the first coursework as a special student. These courses must have been taken within the last five years. If more than five years have elapsed since the coursework as a special student was done, the student must meet the current academic requirements for the major selected.

International Students

International students are welcome to enroll in any educational program. All prospective students must meet the admission requirements for the program that they select. English translations of transcripts are required. It is recommended that applications be submitted 9 to 12 months prior to the desired date of enrollment. 

Each applicant for graduate programs must document the ability to speak, read, and write English as evidenced by satisfactory performance on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted.

Test information can be obtained at: www.toefl.org and www.ielts.org

Students whose native language is English are exempt. For those whose native language is not English, the minimum acceptable scores are:

Additional requirements for international students:

  • International students must present evidence of adequate financial resources to meet the expenses of full-time study as well as travel to and from Cleveland. Financial assistance from FPB is limited. Each student will need a sponsor who will provide full financial support. Each sponsor is required to document their ability to support the student, including costs of tuition and fees, room and meals, books, incidentals, and travel expenses. http://www.case.edu/gradstudies/new-students/important-first-steps
  • For the MSN and post-graduate certificate programs, excluding the Nurse Educator option, prospective students must be eligible for licensure as a registered nurse (RN) before enrollment. To obtain RN licensure, the student can either 1) obtain licensure in a state other than Ohio and apply for reciprocity in Ohio, or 2) sit for the licensure examination (NCLEX-RN) in Ohio. For information on how to become licensed in any state, you must obtain information from the specific state where you wish to become licensed. For the individual addresses of each State Board of Nursing, go to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing website and then go to “Boards of Nursing.”
  • For additional information about obtaining a US visa visit the following site: http://www.case.edu/gradstudies/new-students/important-first-steps

Students may also write to:

National Council of State Boards of Nursing
111 East Wacker Dr.
Suite 2900
Chicago, IL 60601-4277
Telephone: 312.525.3600

Once admitted to FPB, an application form for a student visa will be sent to the student. Upon enrollment at the university, the student must subscribe to the Student Medical Insurance Plan or have proof of other medical insurance coverage.