Academic Policies + Procedures

Fellowship Tuition Policy for Students in Graduate Studies

The purpose of this policy is to allow students pursuing graduate degrees to take courses beyond their degree requirements without additional financial burden to the student and little or no cost to the University. Such courses, referred to as “fellowship” courses, can broaden the educational experience of graduate students by allowing them to pursue studies according to their own intellectual needs. 

  1. A student pursuing a graduate degree shall be charged tuition at the standard hourly rate for all of the credit hours which are intended to count toward the degree. In the fall and spring semesters for which students are registered for the minimum number of credit hours per semester for your degree program as required by the School of Graduate Studies and/or your department. Fellowship courses will not incur a tuition charge. In the summer semester, there is no minimum registration required to qualify for the fellowship tuition policy.
  2. In order to enroll in a fellowship course, the student must be in good standing, meet course prerequisites, obtain consent of the instructor, and if applicable, have a PPOS on file (check with your department) with the School of Graduate Studies. A Fellowship Course Application form must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies; the form must be signed by the instructor, their advisor, and the School of Graduate Studies. Up to eight fellowship courses may be permitted in aggregate (total).
  3. Thesis research (651 and 701) and similar courses cannot be taken as fellowship courses and prior rules for 701 (dissertation research) are not changed by this policy.
  4. Fellowship courses cannot be audited. The grade that a student receives in the course will not count toward the degree program GPA or total hours.
  5. Fellowship courses cannot be used toward a degree program at Case Western Reserve University.
  6. Fellowship Course Application forms must be submitted before the end of the Drop/Add period.
  7. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing provisions and policies, the rules, regulations, and terms of tuition and credit enrollments for each school shall remain in full force and effect.
  8. Registration for fellowship courses within the College of Arts and Sciences is not permitted in the summer term.

Guidelines for Multidisciplinary Graduate and Graduate Professional Studies

Departments or faculty members may design a joint degree program, which will generally result in two degrees, or a multidisciplinary degree, which will generally result in a single degree that has a broader perspective than similar existing degrees. Such programs should meet challenges of new interdisciplinary knowledge and/or developments requiring new combinations of talent. In addition, such programs or degrees should enhance and not duplicate existing programs in the University. Individual students with specific multidisciplinary interests that desire to pursue them at Case Western Reserve University and faculty members who wish to run pilots for joint degree programs or multidisciplinary degrees are encouraged to do so, even if no official joint or multidisciplinary degree program currently exists, by organizing an individual joint degree or an individual multidisciplinary degree. Such degrees require faculty and departmental support. Guidance for the design and approval of both such programs and such individual degrees is available from the School of Graduate Studies.

Maintenance of Good Standing

Unless stated higher by the department, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 is required for the awarding of the graduate degrees from the School of Graduate Studies. A student maintains good standing in the School of Graduate Studies by registering each fall and spring semester unless on an official leave of absence which has been approved by the School of Graduate Studies. A student is in good standing who meets the standards set by the academic department and the School of Graduate Studies to ensure normal progress toward the fulfillment of the stated requirements at levels of quality without warning or probation or extension of the allowable time limit for degree completion. Students whose grade point averages fall below minimum standards will automatically be placed on probation until the minimum standards are achieved.  The probationary status will be recorded on the student’s unofficial Graduate Record in the Student Information System (SIS). In addition, a student will be subject to separation from the University for any of the reasons listed below.  Academic separations are recorded on both the unofficial/advising transcript and the official university transcript.

  1. Failure to achieve a grade point average of 2.50 or higher at the completion of 12 semester hours or 2 semesters of graduate study.
  2. Failure to achieve a grade point average of 2.75 or higher at the completion of 21 semester hours or 4 semesters of graduate study.
  3. Failure to receive a grade of S in thesis research 651 or dissertation research 701. A student who receives a grade of U in thesis (Course 651) or dissertation research (Course 701) will be placed on probation and be subject to separation.  The student must be removed from probation by the end of the semester immediately following receipt of the grade of U by repeating the course for the same number of credit hours, and achieving a grade of S. The tuition and associated fees for the repeated course may be the responsibility of the student. Although removal from probation restores the student’s good standing, the grade of U received will not be canceled or substituted by the grade of S subsequently received. Separation will occur if the student placed on probation receives another grade of U in any following semester; or, if the School of Graduate Studies, in consultation with the academic unit, determines that the student is unlikely to be successful in working independently and productively toward the completion of the thesis or dissertation research.
  4. Failure of a conditionally or provisionally admitted student to satisfy the conditions or provisions stated in the letter of acceptance by the end of the first academic year (2 semesters) or after 18 credits of course work.
  5. Failure to make progress towards degree completion. If the student is not making progress towards degree completion, and it has been judged that the student is unlikely to be successful in working independently and productively toward the completion of clinical requirements, thesis or dissertation research the department and/or the School of Graduate Studies (in consultation with the department) can recommend academic separation.
  6. In addition to disciplinary actions based on academic standards, on recommendation of the student’s department or school, the School of Graduate Studies can suspend or separate a student from the University for failure to maintain appropriate standards of conduct and integrity. Such a suspension or separation will be implemented only for serious breaches of conduct that threaten to compromise the standards of a department or create concern for the safety and welfare of others. In the event of such suspension or separation, the student will be entitled to an appeal through the grievance procedure of the School of Graduate Studies.

Maintenance of Grade Point Average (GPA)

Unless stated higher by the department, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 is required for the awarding of graduate degrees from the School of Graduate Studies. Any department, school, or curricular program committee may choose to establish quality standards higher than those stated above if such additional requirements are made known in writing to the students upon matriculation and are recorded with the School of Graduate Studies. In calculating the grade point average, courses taken as a student in the School of Graduate Studies at the 400 level or above as well as any courses accepted toward fulfillment of degree requirements for which quality points are given will be counted, including courses that may need to be repeated. In that case, the departmental standards supersede the minimum standards. Students who do not maintain the minimum grade point average will be placed on academic probation until the minimum standard has been achieved.

Class Attendance Policy

Students are expected to attend all classes for which they are registered.  Online students are expected to log on and participate in class at the expected pace outlined by the instructor.  If a student is unable to attend class, they must let the instructor know in advance or as soon as possible. The policy regarding attendance should be stated in the course syllabus and students should be informed of the policy at the start of the course.  If a student misses a class, the student is responsible for making up any missed work and for obtaining any other information that was disseminated in class.  Course requirements are not waived due to absence from class.  If a student anticipates an extended absence, they should consult the School of Graduate Studies for assistance in managing their situation.

The School of Graduate Studies adheres to the University policies governing religious holidays and, for students that are registered with the Office of Disability Resources, the flexible attendance policy.

Course Repeat Policy

Graduate students may petition their department chair to repeat a maximum of two courses during their degree program in order to improve their performance. When a course is repeated, the first grade will remain visible on the transcript but will be removed from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average and the grade point average for the semester in which the course was first taken. The new grade will then be used for calculation of the cumulative grade point average and the grade point average for the semester in which it was earned, regardless of whether the new grade is higher or lower than the first grade. The student’s transcript will show the comment “Repeated: No credit awarded” directly below the original grade. However, if the first attempt of the course resulted in a passing grade, but the second attempt results in a failing grade, then the original grade will remain. Similarly, if a student withdraws from a course that is being repeated, the Course Repeat Option will not be applied and the original grade will stand. Course repetition may be exercised according to the following conditions:

  1. The course repeat option can only be used on a course in which a C or lower was earned. Courses with a grading basis of P/NP are not eligible under this policy.
  2. A student may not use the Pass/No Pass option on a course that is being repeated.
  3. A student may only use the repeat option on the same course (name, number, credits).
  4. Research based courses (for example, 601, 651, and 701) are exempt from this repeat policy. Thesis research course 651 and dissertation research course 701 grading policies can be found in this bulletin.
  5. The course repeat option may not be exercised after a degree has been awarded.
  6. A Course Repeat Request form must be signed by the student's advisor and department chair. The form must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies for approval.
  7. The tuition and associated fees for a repeated course may be the responsibility of the student.

Incomplete (I)

Grades of I can only be assigned for letter-graded and Pass/No Pass courses for extenuating circumstances and only when a student who is passing the course fails to complete a small, evaluative segment of the course. Students may not sit in the same course in a later semester to complete the work required for the original course. All work for the incomplete grade must be made up and the change of grade recorded in the Student Information System (SIS) by the date specified by the instructor, but no later than the 11th week of class in the semester following the one in which the I grade was received.

In exceptional circumstances, a student may petition for an extension of the incomplete deadline.  The petition should be submitted by the original deadline date and must contain the reasons for the extension, a proposed new completion date and a letter from the instructor supporting the extension. 

When a student fails to submit the work required for removing the Incomplete by the date established, the instructor will enter a final grade that assumes a failing performance for the missing work. In the absence of the assignment of a grade by the instructor, the Registrar will convert the I to F when the deadline for making up Incomplete grades from a previous semester has passed.

Periodic Review and Evaluation of Doctoral Student Progress

In order to achieve excellence in student mentoring in doctoral programs within the School of Graduate Studies at Case Western Reserve University, an annual review of student progress toward the degree is required for every doctoral student. This review has two purposes: i) to support mentoring of students by providing regular and timely feedback that will enhance their success at CWRU and their career goals and professional development, and ii) to evaluate progress toward completion of the degree. To achieve these goals, the review should evaluate the previous year’s progress, detail the student’s strengths and areas that need improvement, and make recommendations for future action to complete the degree.  

Each doctoral program shall develop its own annual review format and timing within these minimal guidelines:

  1. Every doctoral student will submit an annual progress report to their program, department, or school. The report should describe progress toward the degree in the past year, future plans for completing the degree, career goals and progress toward professional development. 
  2. Faculty of the program, department, or school will review the student reports to evaluate student progress in the program. The review process shall include at least two faculty members, such as the faculty advisor, dissertation or thesis chair or committee, graduate student director, or other subset of faculty designated by the department. Additional faculty members may be asked to provide input to help the review process.
  3. The findings of the evaluation shall be communicated to the student in a written report and, whenever possible, discussed in person, that details the student’s current status in the program, progress towards completion, career goals and professional development, and makes concrete suggestions for future actions. 
  4. Master’s level students may be evaluated in a similar fashion at the discretion of the program, department, or school.

If a doctoral program already has an annual review policy in place, the program shall inform the School of Graduate Studies of what form that review takes. For programs that do not have an annual review policy, the School of Graduate Studies requests that they create an annual review policy within a year from the approval of the policy. This policy does not mandate the use of one student review format. For some programs, the annual report can be coordinated with other reporting needs (e.g. NIH grants) so as to eliminate redundancy in reporting for the student.

Compliance with this policy will be monitored by School of Graduate Studies. Programs shall provide an annual list of names of students who have been reviewed by June 30th each year. A template of the department review form shall be provided to School of Graduate Studies. Copies of an individual student’s annual reviews will be made available to School of Graduate Studies upon request. 

Residency Requirement

The doctoral residency requirement is intended to ensure a period of intensive academic interaction with faculty and peers and sustained independent research. Graduate students are considered to be in residence when they are fully engaged in academic work. As resident students, they may teach at the University, take graduate courses, assist in course development, and engage in research or in other scholarly activities at the University. Regardless of the nature of the work, the student’s regular presence at the University is expected during fulfillment of the residency requirement.

The formal fulfillment of residency requires continuous registration in at least six consecutive academic terms (fall, spring and/or summer) from matriculation to a period not exceeding five years after the first credited hour(s) of dissertation research (701). The period while students are on a leave of absence does not count towards fulfilling the residency requirement. Within the context of continuity of registration, departments may enact other restrictions. In such instances, the departmental requirements take precedence and must formally be disclosed to the student at matriculation. This is meant to be a reflection of the appropriate reality that departments and fields have different norms and traditions of graduate study.

Time Limitation

Requirements for the master’s degree must be completed within five consecutive calendar years after matriculation as a graduate student, including any leaves of absence. Requirements for the PhD degree must be completed within five consecutive calendar years from the semester of the first credited 701 registration, including any leaves of absence. Any graduate student who fails to complete the requirements within the five year limit for their degree program will be subject to separation from further study unless granted an extension by the School of Graduate Studies with the recommendation of their program. An extension may be granted if the student and their advisor work out a plan of action for degree completion within a specified time frame which must be endorsed by the department chair or graduate program director. Students will be expected to meet all the specified deadlines outlined in the plan of action. The minimum acceptable registration during this extended period for each semester until graduation is three credit hours of 651 (Master's thesis students) or 701 (PhD). DMA students, and non-thesis, project, and course-focused master's students must register for at least three credits of appropriate course work.

Graduate Student Holiday, Vacation, Parental Leave and Sick Leave Policies

These policies apply to graduate students in the School of Graduate Studies who receive stipends that support their effort toward earning a degree during the period when they receive support. They represent the minimum to which graduate students are entitled.

If a graduate student receives a stipend, they will receive support for holidays, parental leave, sick leave, unpaid leave, unused leave, and vacations, as set forth below. The stipend support for those days will be at the same rate as for normal work days. For all anticipated leaves longer than two weeks, appropriate departmental approvals must be obtained and paperwork submitted to the School of Graduate Studies prior to the start of the leave.

These policies do not supersede other University policies concerning attendance or residence at the University (e.g. participating in classroom activities as a student or teaching assistant). These policies only apply to student effort toward earning a degree.

Fall and Spring Break

All students in the School of Graduate Studies, regardless if they are receiving a stipend, will receive a two-day break from classes and class activities in the fall, and a five-day break in the spring. Both of these breaks will correspond to the fall and spring breaks on the undergraduate calendar. 

These breaks apply only to classes and class activities; faculty may still require graduate students to perform research activities during those breaks. 


Graduate students are entitled to observe all University closings for holidays and other recognized events.

Parental Leave

Students in the School of Graduate Studies who are enrolled and receiving a stipend at the time of birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child are entitled to up to eight (8) weeks of paid parental leave at 100% of the eligible students stipend. 

Paid time off can be used by a graduate student who becomes a new parent by birth, adoption, or foster placement to care for a child and/or to recover from childbirth and/or medical conditions related to pregnancy and/or childbirth (such as miscarriages and high-risk pregnancy). 

When two graduate students become parents to the same child through birth, adoption, or foster care placement, both graduate students are collectively entitled to a total of eleven (11) weeks of leave to be allocated between them, with neither graduate student permitted to take more than eight (8) weeks of paid parental leave. The graduate students may take leave consecutively, concurrently, or a combination of overlapping and non-overlapping leave. 

During the paid leave period, graduate students may postpone teaching assistant or research assistant responsibilities, course assignments, examinations, and other academic requirements while remaining full-time students, with access to university facilities (including student health insurance, library privileges, etc.) and to university faculty and staff. 

All paid parental leave must be completed within twelve (12) months of the date of birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child. Parental leave does not count toward the time limit for degree completion. 

To request a pregnancy accommodation, and/or to discuss any questions or concerns regarding Paid Parental Leave, contact the Office of Equity. An Equity Specialist will review the accommodation process and address any questions or concerns a student may have. After meeting with the student, Equity will contact the program director and Graduate Studies to identify appropriate accommodations and arrange for Paid Parental Leave, if available. 

Additional Leave and Support for Pregnant and Parenting Students

Under certain qualifying circumstances, graduate students on stipends may use accrued sick leave immediately following the exhaustion of Paid Parental Leave. Graduate students who require additional leave beyond the paid leave available to them may seek an unpaid Leave of Absence. 

Pregnant or parenting graduate students, regardless of gender, who require adjustments to work or academic responsibilities may contact the Office of Equity. Available accommodations depend on students' individual circumstances and may include, among other situations, academic support, excused absences, grades of Incomplete, temporary parking, and/or modifications to job responsibilities or work schedules. To obtain answers to questions about additional support for pregnant or parenting students, please contact the Office of Equity.

Sick Leave

Graduate students are entitled to two weeks (10 traditional work days) of sick leave per year, with no year-to-year accrual. Sick leave may be used for medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth. Under exceptional circumstances, additional sick leave days may be granted following receipt of a written request from a physician, and prior written approval by the program and Graduate Studies.  If applicable, medical documentation should be sent to the School of Graduate Studies and or the Equity Office if it relates to pregnancy or childbirth issues.

Unpaid Leave

Students who require additional leave beyond what is stipulated above must seek prior written approval from the School of Graduate Studies for an unpaid Leave of Absence (LOA). Approval for a leave of absence must be requested in advance by the student and the student should provide documentation for the leave request and obtain approval. Conditions for the leave and approval must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Continued coverage of health insurance is allowable as permitted within the guidelines of University Health Services and with written approval by the program and School of Graduate Studies.

Unused Leave

A student is not entitled to receive any form of compensation for any unused holidays, vacation days, sick leave, parental leave, and/or other accrued time off.


Graduate students are allowed two weeks of vacation per calendar year (10 traditional work days) if they receive full support during a 12-month period. Students who receive less than 12 months of support are not entitled to vacation during the period of support. The dates of vacations must be approved in advance by the student's research mentor to ensure that time-sensitive work is not disrupted.

Vacation days can be accrued from one year to the next year only with the prior written approval of the program and only up to a maximum of 20 traditional work days, to allow for international travel, for example. There is no terminal leave.

The times between academic terms and the summer are considered part of the active training period and are not to be regarded as vacation time.


These policies do not supersede any HR policy. In addition, these policies do not create a contractual relationship with any student and the policies may be amended at any time by the Faculty and the School of Graduate Studies.

The School of Graduate Studies policies regarding continuous registration and leave of absence still apply.

Maintenance of leave records is the responsibility of the academic department.

Leave of Absence from Graduate Study

Students in the School of Graduate Studies are expected to maintain continuous registration in the fall and spring terms, unless on an approved leave of absence. If a student wishes to request a leave, they must do so in writing by submitting the Leave of Absence request form, found on the School of Graduate Studies website. The request must not exceed two consecutive academic semesters. The reason for the leave must be stated clearly, and the request must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies with the written endorsement of the student’s academic department. International students must check with International Student Services before petitioning for a leave of absence, as such a leave can affect their visa status. In exceptional circumstances, the leave can be extended for another two semesters. However, the maximum amount of leave permitted per graduate program is four semesters.

During a leave of absence, a student may complete outstanding/missing work in courses (subject to the established Graduate Studies policy on Incomplete Grades), but may not fulfill other degree requirements. Students also may not take comprehensive or qualifying exams or defend a thesis or dissertation. A leave of absence does not extend the maximum time permitted for the completion of degree requirements, and a leave cannot generally be taken while students are on extension of the five-year limit. At the expiration of the leave, the student must resume registration unless formally granted an extension of the leave by submitting a new leave of absence form.

A student who is granted a parental leave of absence related to infant care, as well as those who must fulfill military duty obligations, can petition to extend the five-year time limit associated with completion of the degree. The length of this extension may not exceed two years. 

Return from Leave of Absence

Students should contact their program and Graduate Studies prior to their return to request reactivation of their record. Retroactive leaves are not permitted. A student who fails to obtain a leave of absence, or who fails to register following an official leave, will be withdrawn from graduate study and must petition the School of Graduate Studies for reinstatement in order to resume work as a student in good standing at the University.

Course Loads and Overloads

Full-time status requires registration for a minimum of 9 semester hours per semester (or 1 semester hour of 651, 695 Project Course in Engineering, 701, or similar courses). Students financed by federal loans must remain registered for at least 6 semester hours (defined as half-time) each semester to maintain continued eligibility for that funding or to initiate such a loan. 

The maximum course load is 17 semester hours. Students wishing to take an overload must receive approval from their graduate program. The program should then send the overload request to Graduate Studies for final approval and processing. 

Changes in Registration (Drop/Add)

To drop or add individual courses or to change registration from credit to audit, a student must submit a Drop/Add form signed by their advisor, to the School of Graduate Studies in accordance with the dates and deadlines published each academic term for such actions to be taken. Students must make appropriate changes to their schedules by the end of the posted Drop/Add period in order to avoid paying full tuition for a dropped course. There is no tuition credit issued for an individual dropped course after Drop/Add. When making changes in registration, an international student must be aware of the pertinent requirements regarding full-time status. Students who add a course after the start of the semester are responsible for any work missed and are expected to speak with the instructor to learn the consequences of any work missed and whether there are opportunities for making up missed work.

Administrative Withdrawal and Reinstatement 

From All Courses

In order to withdraw from all courses in a given term, registered students must complete the Term Withdrawal process in the Student Information System (SIS). A grade of WD will be assigned in all courses in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal (if after Drop/Add). Only completing a Term Withdrawal for the semester entitles a student to a percentage refund of the withdrawn courses after the end of Drop/Add. Failure to attend class or merely giving notice to the instructor will not be regarded as official notice of withdrawal or change. Such an unofficial withdrawal normally will result in the student being assigned the grade of F. 

From the University

To withdraw from the university during a semester or session, a student must complete the Term Withdrawal process in the Student Information System (SIS) and send written notice to their program and to Graduate Studies. Failure to attend classes or notification of instructors only does not constitute withdrawal from the university. A student who ceases to attend or otherwise participate in courses without officially withdrawing will be assigned the grade of F for each course in which they are enrolled and are responsible for full tuition and fees. 

Students in the School of Graduate Studies are expected to maintain continuous registration in the fall and spring terms, unless on an approved Leave of Absence. Students who fail to register will be withdrawn from their programs and must petition for reinstatement in order to continue graduate study. The petition must be approved by both the student’s department and the School of Graduate Studies before the student may register for further course work as a student in full standing. If more than 24 months have elapsed since the last registration, students may have to resubmit Admissions materials if requested by the program or the School of Graduate Studies.

Waiver of Registration

It is a requirement of the School of Graduate Studies that a student be registered for credit in the semester in which they complete all the requirements to graduate in accordance with established deadlines for that semester. For a student engaged in thesis or dissertation research, the completion of all requirements to graduate is not easily predicted, making it difficult to adhere to scheduled deadlines. If a student will not be able to meet the degree requirements to graduate in one semester, but will finish before the next semester begins, students can apply for a waiver of the requirement to be registered in the semester of graduation. To be granted a Waiver of Registration, students must be registered for the appropriate thesis or dissertation credit hours in the semester (or summer session) immediately preceding the semester of graduation, complete all degree requirements including a current application to graduate, and submit all required materials to the School of Graduate Studies by the end of the Drop/Add period of the next semester, including the Waiver of Registration form.

A student who qualifies for the waiver will be awarded the degree at the next graduation without the need to be registered. If a student fails to meet the waiver deadline, they will be required to register for the appropriate thesis or dissertation credit hours in the next semester, and to reapply for graduation in that semester.

Transfer of Credit

Transfer of credit from another university toward master’s degree requirements is awarded for appropriate course work (not applied to another completed degree) taken prior to admission. Transfer of credit must be requested in the student’s first academic year and must be appropriate for the student’s planned program of study. For master’s candidates, transferred credit is limited to six semester hours of graduate-level courses, and no credit for master’s thesis may be transferred from another university.

No transfer of credit will be awarded towards the PhD degree except by petition, and no credit for the doctoral dissertation may be transferred from another university. Such courses must have been taken within five years of first matriculation at Case Western Reserve University and passed with grades of B or better.

Students who wish to receive credit for courses taken outside the University once they are enrolled must petition for approval before taking the classes. All transfer of credit requires approval from the student’s advisor, the departmental chair or graduate committee, the department for which credit is being granted, and the School of Graduate Studies. The Transfer of Credit Request form can be found on the School of Graduate Studies website.

Transfer of credit does not include the transfer of grades and therefore can not be used to fulfill GPA or percentage of graded coursework policies.

Internal Transfer of Credit

Students of exceptional ability in the undergraduate programs of Case Western Reserve University who have the approval of the Office of Undergraduate Studies and the School of Graduate Studies may apply to receive credit for graduate courses completed in excess of the undergraduate degree requirements.

Graduate students who internally transfer to another degree program may seek approval to transfer coursework from the original degree program by a Petition for Transfer of Program form. Dual degree or nondegree students transferring into a graduate degree program must provide the School of Graduate Studies with written approval from their department.

Internal transfer of credit does include the transfer of grades and can be used to fulfill GPA or percentage of graded coursework policies. 


A candidate for a degree or university certificate awarded by the School of Graduate Studies must apply for graduation in the Student Information System SIS by the deadline established for that semester. Students are encouraged to visit the School of Graduate Studies website at the beginning of the semester in which they intend to graduate to obtain graduation instructions for either the Master's or Doctoral degree. The candidate must meet all the deadlines for completion of degree requirements set forth in the calendar. All candidates must be registered for credit (unless they have an approved Waiver of Registration) and in good standing during the semester in which the degree is awarded. Official transcripts and diplomas may be withheld in accordance with the university's Student Accounts Past Due Policy.

Exceptions to Regulations

Students have the right to petition for exceptions to these regulations. Such a petition should be addressed to the School of Graduate Studies. In most cases the student’s department or program committee must endorse the petition.

Departmental Responsibility for Requirements

Requirements for master’s and doctoral degrees beyond those set forth in these regulations may be established by departments or curricular program committees with the approval of the School of Graduate Studies. Individual students may be required to take courses beyond the published requirements in order to successfully complete their degree programs. In such instances, the student must be notified in writing upon matriculation by the chair of the department or curricular program, with a copy to be filed in the School of Graduate Studies.

Graduate Student Rights and Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of the student to become familiar with the general rules and regulations of the University, not just those of the School of Graduate Studies. These are including but not limited to the University Policies and University Code of Conduct. A member of the University community who is accused of violating any of these rules and regulations is subject to University disciplinary action. Due process procedures of adequate notice of all charges and a fair hearing will apply. Case Western Reserve University has established a mechanism whereby students may express a grievance against the actions of other students or members of the faculty and staff. The Academic Integrity Policies and Procedures to be followed in the case of academic infractions by graduate students may be obtained through the School of Graduate Studies. The University Office of Student Affairs should be consulted for non-academic infractions.

It is also the responsibility of the student to become acquainted with the general regulations and administrative procedures governing graduate study, together with the departmental or school regulations which apply to the student’s course of study, and, in consultation with the faculty advisor or advisory committee of the supervising unit, to plan the program and carry out the work in accordance with these regulations and procedures.

Graduate Student Grievance Procedure

It is the responsibility of the School of Graduate Studies to ensure that all students enrolled for graduate credit at Case Western Reserve University have adequate access to faculty and administrative consideration of their grievances concerning academic issues. A three-step procedure has been established for graduate students to present complaints about academic actions they feel are unfair.

  1. Students with complaints should first discuss their grievances with the person against whom the complaint is directed.
  2. In those instances in which this discussion does not resolve a grievance to the student’s satisfaction, a complaint should be presented in writing to the department chairperson. If the complaint is against the department chair and is not resolved with this individual, the complaint should be presented to the dean of the school/college.
  3. In the event that a decision still appears unfair to the student, the student may bring the matter to the attention of the School of Graduate Studies. The Graduate Studies may ask the student to put the complaint in writing. They will then discuss the case with the student and the department chair to evaluate the particulars and to make a ruling on it. As the situation warrants, they may appoint a Grievance Committee to recommend what action should be taken. In this event, the Committee will be composed of two faculty members selected from the Committee on Graduate Studies of the Faculty Senate and two graduate students selected either from the Executive Committee of the Graduate Student Council, from the student members of the Committee on Graduate Studies, or from the Academic Integrity and Judicial Board members. 

The dean of graduate studies has the responsibility for the final decision, and the ruling from the School of Graduate Studies will be considered final and binding on the persons involved in the grievance. 

It should be understood that this grievance procedure relates solely to graduate student complaints concerning academic issues. Other issues including student conduct, community standards or sexual misconduct are covered through different policies.

Procedures and Sanctions for Graduate Student Academic Infractions

Graduate students accused of violating the University’s standards of conduct, which are detailed in this Academic Integrity Policy, are entitled to adequate notice of all charges and to a fair hearing and may subsequently be subject to disciplinary action. The process that is outlined in the Academic Integrity Policy will apply to academic infractions, e.g., cheating on examinations, plagiarism, and other forms of dishonesty in academic activities. Additional information is available from the School of Graduate Studies.