Case Western Reserve University is one of the nation’s leading independent research universities. With programs encompassing the arts and sciences, engineering, the health sciences, law, management, and social work, our community works every day to think beyond the possible.
Case Western Reserve University’s origins date back nearly two centuries to 1826, the year of Western Reserve College’s founding.
Originally located in Hudson, Ohio, the college was renamed Western Reserve University in 1884 and moved to what is now University Circle. After adding a new medical school alongside its undergraduate programs, the college found a neighbor in the Case School of Applied Science, an institution founded in 1880 through the bequest of Leonard Case Jr., a leading benefactor and Cleveland civic leader.
The Case School changed names to Case Institute of Technology in 1947 to reflect its growing stature in the sciences and engineering, but this name change was not its last: In 1967, Western Reserve University joined with Case Institute of Technology to form Case Western Reserve University, thus becoming a leading institution for academics and research worthy of national and international distinction.
Today, Case Western Reserve is a top-ranked national research university with approximately 12,000 students, nearly 7,000 faculty and staff members, and more than 121,000 alumni. The university comprises seven schools and a college:
To learn more, visit the university’s history page.